Archive for March, 2007
A look at politics & the internet. From the 1984 ad, to a Second Life attack on Edwards, to McCain’s “Final 4″ metaphor and Mike Davidson’s prank (not a hack!). From iFilms.com. Th 29 March.
(WordPress doesn’t seem willing to let me embed this — so click the screeshot to go to iFilms.com website.)Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
Examples of mash up as form of political communication. The original 1984 Apple ad. Controversial Obama staffer mashup attacking Hilliary Clinton. Plus yet-another commentary using the 1984 metaphor.
In-class: review assignments (one small change), evaluation; discussion changing mediascape, “open source news” (what’s that?)
Lab: Set up Newsvine accounts. Explore! Join UW Group.
Assignment: Read journalist bloggers David Postman and Todd Bishop, Seattle PI. Develop two-three questions — they’ll be with us on Tuesday. Post to wordpress blog by 8 am Tuesday.
Reading: Post reading reflection to wordpress blog by 8am Tuesday. Everyone read DfB. and WtM. Everyone read ACM article. Pick one of the two articles on writing.
Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
Questions from blog posts:
Check out their blogs! (All have a theme – we’ll talk about this on Thursday.)
- Child Market – A blog about child prostitution & trafficking.
- EditorMom (Katharine) – Social justice, publishing, politics, and other issues.
- Healthy Bodies – The fight for universal health care.
- In The Dark – Dr. Peter Fallon (professor)
- Mama Nature – Covering environmental issues.
- media future universe – The media and the future of media.
- News Snobbery – Turning up my nose at all that is not news.
- Newsworthy02 – A comparative look at the days top news stories from a few different sources.
- Obama-meter – The meter is running on Barack Obama’s campaign for president.
- regulating regulators – Observing and reporting news about the FCC.
- Render Unto Caesar – A critical look at the dwindling separation of church and state in the US.
Followup notes from Tuesday:
- You’ll blog your reading assignment and personal essay by wrting a new post. In lab yesterday, we edited (managed) an existing post — we didn’t create a new one. (Remember, we lost connectivity.)
- These should be two separate posts.
- Please remember to send me your blog URL!
In-class: introductions, overview, course structure
Lab: set up WordPress blog
First assignment: Write a short post (200-350 words) outlining your background and your goals for this course. Post by 8 am Thursday.
First reading: Post first reading reflection to wordpress blog by 8am Thursday. We The Media (WtM), pages xii – 22 (Intro, Ch 1)
Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( 1 so far )